Tuesday, July 10, 2007

2007 MLB All-Star Game

As I sit here with a Boddington's beer in one hand, and the Disgruntled Dog resting in my lap, while I watch the 2007 All-Star Game, I decided to jot down some thoughts as the game progressed:

-The Disgruntled Girlfriend claims that the West Coast (where she's from) is far superior to the East Coast (where I'm from) since this game, which started at around 9 PM EST(after the Willie Mays love-fest from 8-9), would have started at 5 PM out in Seattle (where the DG calls home). I say they should just not have these games out on the West Coast. However, I think PacBell Park (or whatever it's called now) is #1 on my list of stadiums to visit.

-Prince Fielder commits the first error of the game. PUT IN DMITRI YOUNG!!! (Side Note on Young: I witnessed in person a Dmitri Young TRIPLE the other day against the Cubs. Bill Simmons would have listed it as a 10 on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.)

-Barry Bonds - Here's my thought on B-Bonds. I remember watching games at the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium between the Braves and the Pirates, and Bonds definitely has gained some muscle and head size since then. Do I think he has used steroids? Possibly. Do I care? No. Here's five reasons why:

1.) The MLB players in the 50's-80's were high on either greenies or cocaine. If we're judging players now, we've gotta judge players then.
2.) Steroids don't improve talent - just look at Jason Grimsley. You still gotta be able to hit the ball.
3.) When McGuire and Sosa were battling it out to beat Roger Maris' single-season home-run record, MLB and Bud Selig didn't bat an eye, despite visual evidence that seemed to suggest that these two behemoths might possibly be using a little something extra. I abhor hypocricy more than anything.
4.) Bonds has never failed a drug test. Without a doubt, I'd vote for Barry Bonds as the 2007 "Sick of the Bullshit Award" on the Blogadier General's site.
5.) "Transformers" is a fucking incredible movie. Sorry, nothing to do with the game or Bonds, but I just love it. God, I love the Transformers.

I do like Hank Aaron, though, so I have mixed thoughts on the whole thing.

-Carlos Beltran still in in the 6th inning...interesting. Then, he hits a triple (Ichiro got an inside the park HR hitting at the same spot....). Shows how much I know.

-"Next on Fox 5 News, the DC Madam releases her client list - is someone you know on the list??" Um...I don't think so, but shit now I'm interested!

-Paula Cole singing "God Bless America." My thoughts - she's pale! And being booed!! And she's gained weight!!! And I'm an asshole!!!! (Actually she was pretty good whilst singing that song...)

-God I love Tony LaRussa. Seriously, why can't he ever manage the Braves or the Nationals so I can marry him and get it over with?

-Holy crap, I completely forgot about Carlos Lee this season (not being on my fantasy team or an actual team I care about). He struck out anyway against Johan Santana, so, no reason for me to remember him.

-Ichiro is the MVP of this game. Whoever wins. You just can't get him out. He's the King. You can't beat him.

-Soriano. I just saw him live in a game against my Nats (he used to play for them, before he wanted more money). He just struck out against Johan. When I saw him live the other day, he went 1-4, with 2 K's. Typical Soriano game. I don't miss him. We picked up Dmitri Young, who has more than made up for his offense. However, our new leadoff man...ahem, Nook Logan, ahem...is hitting .227.

-I'm not sure what my thoughts are on the new "Simpsons Movie." I think that this movie should have come out about 7 or 8 years ago, back at the height of their writing days. Also, the previews and commercials are terrible. I will, of course, see the movie, but I've got high expectations that I'm not sure will be met like "Transformers" did. Did I mention I loved that movie??

-The first batter struck out by an NL pitcher came in the top of the 8th inning. I have always thought/known that the reason they can't win All-Star games...and World Series's actually...is that the AL consistently has better pitchers. This is something the NL really needs to address. Shit, Vic Martinez just made the game 5-2 (in the top of the 8th) against one of the better NL relievers (Wagner). Can the NL come back from 3 runs down? No.

-Hate Jeter...but love the Jeter/Harvey Keitel "Schmendrik" commercial. BTW, please correct me if that's not Keitel.

-I'm pretty sure I could steal a base against these catchers. Might be a record for SB's in an A-S game??

-Rob Sen's nickname was "The Penguin"??

-So, here's my problem with the "This Time It Matters" idea. Despite the ONE TIME the game ended with a tie (and I'm pretty sure the world continued unabated after that), back when it was an overrated exhibition game, the A-S game allowed for a Little League-esque "Everyone Plays" situation. Now that the World Series home field advantage is decided by this, not everyone plays anymore. Well...fuck it...I want to see Dmitri Young play goddammit!! The American League at this point is essentially the NBA Western Conference, so why not just admit the AL is going to win, let the players we want to see play play, and just suck it up in October. Especially if you're Tony LaRussa, and your team has no chance in hell of being affected by this exhibition game.

-Miller "Chill" sounds a lot like "Tequiza". If I remember correctly, Tequiza made me throw up after a couple sips.

-My dog grunts like Mr. T when she wants something.

-Poo-Holes hasn't played yet, neither has Dmitri Young, according to my least-favorite announcer of all-time, Joe Buck. However, in this case, I wonder at that occurrence just as he does.

-I think that the managers selected to the All-Star games should come from the teams with the best records in each league at the time of the All-Star game, as they do in the NBA. LaRussa, despite my man-love for him, does not belong here...though Leyritz is doing a superb job.

-Hate to do this, but I gotta pick a favorite commercial of this game - the Miller High-Life commercials. For my grandpa, Pap-Pap, a lifelong High-Life drinker... When he's not plying me or the DG with bourbon or wine, that is.

-I'd rather vote for Hillary or Obama in '08 than watch a single episode of "Don't Forget The Lyrics."

-Hee! First inadvertent curse word of the night by Posada! Or was it the umpire...

-DMITRI YOUNG!! Last batter for the NL? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Young fan, but, um, Larussa, you have not played Poo-holes yet. He's pretty good, too...BUT DMITRI YOUNG WITH THE BASE HIT!!! GO NATS!!!

-No way Soriano takes the walk at 3-1...no way. HOLY SHIT, HE HIT A HOME RUN!!! I swear I was typing that as the pitch came. 5-4 AL in the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs. Great game so far. Dmitri Young for MVP!!!!

-Orlando Hudson over Poo-Holes...interesting choice...Now it's 3-0. DON'T SWING THE BAT ORLANDO!!! Oh yeah, I'm rooting for the NL...Wow, now three walks in a row for K-Rod. Fascinating. Hey, here's an idea, how about Poo-Holes? Oop, nope, Aaron Rowand is up...and he flys out. What a surprise. Poo-Holes gets a day off. Well-managed T-Lar. Oh well, if the Braves manage to win the NL (Ha!), it won't matter anyway.

-Oh, hey, Tony, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, bases loaded...you know who would have been great in that situation? Ah, fuck it, never mind...

-I think my LaRussa man-love is over. I hope Poo-Holes gives him a donkey-punch.

-That's all from the Disgruntled Camp. Disgruntled Out...

UPDATE Poo-Holes is Pissed at LaRussa for not letting him in the game. Said LaRussa: "I think we had the right guy [Aaron Rowand, who flied out weakly to end the game] at the plate." This is all Selig's fault...

No comments: