Thursday, April 3, 2008

Arlington


Before I get into what I've gotten on to write about, I just wanted to pass along another classic quote from my friend Mike, who's been a somewhat regular contributor to the Disgruntled Blog. He and I are in a fantasy baseball league together, and I was lucky enough to pick up the Red Sox's set up man - Hideki Okajima - for $1 (it's an auction league). Okajima is great because he provides a strikeout or two a game, a low ERA and WHIP, and the occasional spot win or save (he recorded the first win of the major league season this year). Bargain pickup at $1.

Anyway, got this in an email from Mike this morning:

"Also, I had some spare time and realized your boy Okajima has the perfect name to go with the Sanford and Son theme. Try it:

Okajima
Okajima is the man, Okajima
Okajima gets them out from the bullpen"

Next up, Al Qaeda's #2 says they do not kill innocent people. So, at least we don't have THAT to worry about anymore. What a relief!

So, Arlington, Virginia...

This morning, I was walking from a parking garage to the building where I work in Rosslyn, and as I was waiting for the light to change, a school bus pulls up just past the intersection. A large group of elementary school students were waiting by the side of the road, and as the bus pulled up, they moved slightly into the street to board the bus. As the bus stopped, its stop sign swung out on the left hand side, as all school buses do, requiring (by law) all cars behind the bus to stop and wait while the kids get on the bus. This, of course, is done primarily for the kids' safety.

Despite all of that, about six cars, full of road raged commuters, in the lanes in back of the bus decided to speed ahead - quite recklessly so I might add - shooting angry glances and obscene gestures at the school bus as they did so. The drivers seemed infuriated that the bus would stop in front of them. The school bus driver honked the horn incessently to indicate that, no, in fact they had to stop, but the cars kept going, until finally one car stopped and all the cars in back of it stopped as well. At this point the kids got on the bus, and after a minute of this, the bus's stop sign swung back, and the bus (and the cars in back of it) was on its way.

What struck me about this incident is not that it was unusual, but that it seemed totally par for the course in this area. I looked over at the other people waiting on the sidewalk with me, and though they clearly noticed what was taking place, they seemed totally unfazed by it.

And why not? Arlington is infamous for its drivers failing to yield to emergency vehicles, for example. I've witnessed this many times, and have also seen more drivers than not make turns or lane changes without looking (often while talking on their cell phones, in their SUV's or luxury cars).

But what's worse is that this problem is not confined to Arlington - it's actually more of a metro-DC phenomenom. I've been to many places around the country and around the world, and I've never (not even in Europe) seen such a self-centered group of assholes as I see on a daily basis in this area.

And it's not confined to drivers (though they are the worst). This weekend the Disgruntled Girlfriend and I had brunch at Teaism in Dupont Circle with her cousin. Her cousin is about six months pregnant, and definitely showing (the kid's a future linebacker, by the looks of it). Teaism was pretty crowded, and if you've been there before, you know there's not a plethora of seats there. Despite that, however, we saw many people finished with their meals/beverages, and were fairly confident that once we got our food, we'd be able to get a table.

Nope.

The people kept sitting there, occasionally glancing over at the very pregnant, probably uncomfortable (but good-natured about it) woman carrying her tray hoping for a seat. No one offered a seat, no one offered to get a door for her. Again, pretty par for the course in the area, but a good descriptive anecdote nonetheless.

My point in all of this is that I'm getting pretty fed up with things here. There are clearly too many people for the accomodations in the area (as evidenced by the traffic and total lack of parking, for one), and the people moving into the area seem to be trending more (not less) pretentious, uncaring, asshole. My boss thinks it's more of a "city" problem than a NoVa problem, but I'm not sure. Everywhere I go in this area, be it Arlington, Alexandria, DC, Southern Maryland (just kidding, I never go there), I'm surrounded by pricks who care more about being trendy, hipster, save-the-earth-by-eating-organic-because-I-can-afford-it than giving two shits about the person standing next to them. It's just getting tiring, is all.

All I'm saying is show some common courtesy other people. Please.

Me so disgruntled.

No comments: