Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Icarus Kids


So, I just got back from the Wizards/Bulls game (Wiz 113, Bulls 103), and I'm pretty flabergasted at the state of our nation's underage drinkers. I was definitely sitting in cheap enough seats that, in theory, it could get working-class rough at any time, but this was ridiculous. We were barely into the first quarter, and this faux-thuggish kid in front of me (18 at the oldest), and his six faux-thuggish friends were in rare form. Someone clearly had a fake ID, and based on their extremely loud claims, they were pretty stoned as well. I really didn't have a problem with that per se, but the dude in front of me ("Naughty by Nature" we'll call him) stood up and pumped his fist after EVERY WIZARDS MADE SHOT. Now, I'm a fairly big Wiz fan personally, and I happen to think Gilbert Arenas might be the best player in the NBA from the beginning to the end of games (yes, better than LeBron, who can't finish, and better than D-Wade, who's injured too often). However, I think there is a such thing as overdoing it. Naughty was overdoing it. So, in that he was blocking not only my view, but also my girlfriend (Disgruntled Gal - yes I'm stealing blatantly from the Sports Guy), I decided after the 20th time that I should say something to him. Needless to say, he didn't take the suggestion to only stand up after dunks or a great shot very well. He, and his nerdish cohort next to him started talking trash, until we finally got him to sit down. He stood up again after the next shot (clearly trying to establish himself), so I intimated that perhaps I should pour my beer on his head. He tried to pick a fight, yet again (me being a row above him, not only did I have age and weight on my side, but also leverage - are kids today learning basic physics??). Disgruntled Gal tried to calm the situation, leading Naughty to remark (and I quote):


"Shut the fuck up you stupid bitch!"


Now, I may be many things, but a short-fused man is not one of them. I try to handle situations as calmly and logically as possible. But, one thing you do NOT do is disrespect the Disgruntled Gal. I gave Naughty a shove, and dared him to respond. His friends rightfully got Naughty to sit down, and apologized for him. Later, Naughty and the Nerd tried to pick a fight with a Bulls fan below them, and the whole group got kicked out and/or arrested.


Now, setting aside the fact that this was clearly the most entertaining game I had ever been to (Wizards win, near-fight, cops getting surly), I grew quite downtrodden (maybe even...disgruntled) at the state of underage drinkers these days. When my friends and I drank underage in high school, we did it incognito (or at parties that were quickly busted by the cops), and, more importantly DID NOT DRAW UNWANTED ATTENTION TO OURSELVES. These kids could have CLEARLY gotten away with drinking at this game, but flew too close to the sun and now are probably spending the night in jail. Flew too close to the sun.


On a side note, Gil only scored 20, but 6 Wizards scored in double-figures. Still didn't play any D, but it's good to see that Hibachi doesn't have to score 60 for the Wiz to win. The question remains, can they get past the Heat or the Cavs in the playoffs??


What do you think, Gil??


2 comments:

Blogadier General said...

Lebron didn't have any trouble finishing in the playoffs last year...

Adrock said...

That was cold as ice, blogadier gen.

Anyway, I meant AFTER they dismantled the Wiz.