Monday, April 16, 2007

"I don't even know why the scientists make them!"

Back in the heydey of Saturday Night Live (the early 90's, for me anyway), SNL used to have hilarious commercial parodies (see The Blogadier General's site for "Schlitz Gay" for one). My favorite one was a commercial for Old Glory Insurance, which protected anyone over the age of 50 from robot attacks (albeit with "limited benefits in first two years"). Since robots eat the elderly's medicine for fuel, they are especially susceptible to the danger robots pose these days (along with gangs and rap music). The video is below. Sam Waterston is incredible, as per usual. Even now, I can't watch the TD Waterhouse commercials without thinking of Old Glory Insurance.



Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that despite the obvious threat robots pose to the elderly (and by extension to humanity in general), they are now being employed to help old people, according to this Live Science article!! Not only are they entrusting this bringer of metal death with our nation's most precious assets (where else would we get Easter cards with $2 in them??), but they went and gave them creepy "human" eyes!! Who could be behind such a dastardly scheme, I wondered as I read this horrifying article???

Then it hit me. I know who would profit most from introducing this new fear in the elderly community. It was so obvious, I smacked myself in the forehead for not getting it right away. Who would profit most from this??

Old Glory Insurance.

DAMN YOU SAM WATERSTON!!!!

1 comment:

Blogadier General said...

this is the funniest thing i've ever seen by the way