Monday, May 7, 2007

Lost, Philip Jose Farmer, and Melina Richards (aka Linkapalooza)


I came into work today feeling oddly calm and liberated - no more worrying about whether my house will sell or not. No more wondering whether the lone tenant in the place was going to cook up some smelly fish the night before an open house. No more banging my head against a table while waiting for my realtor to tell me he couldn't do an open house on the nicest day of the year. I'll still be taking a loss on the place each month, but, through various sources and methods (read: drug money. ed. note: kidding), I'll be able to cover that and still work on paying down the massive debt this real estate venture has encumbered me with (side note: I've been working really hard to not end sentences with prepositions, but it's really, really damn hard).

Anyway, so as I was saying, I came in today feeling pretty good. I brewed up a pot of jasmine tea, popped in St. Germain's "Tourist" CD, read and laughed at a story about the "very masculine lesbians" Paris Hilton is going to encounter in the pokey, lamented Chad Cordero's incredible (but predictable) collapse this season with my boss, and settled in to work.

And by "work" I of course mean continuing to surf the internets.

I happened to notice an article on Yahoo about one of my favorite television shows, "Lost." Here's the article. Besides giving me the opportunity to start this posting off with a picture of Evangeline Lily (hot despite dating a hobbit and everyone's least favorite "Lost" character) [Disgruntled Girlfriend would like to note here that Ms. Lily sucks because she gave an interview once where she said that sometimes she cries because she's so hot. I don't have a link to that interview, but the DG swears it's true!], it also had the following quote, which further made my day:

"The Emmy-winning adventure series will run for 48 more episodes over three seasons. Each season will consist of 16 episodes, which will air uninterrupted."

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

So, in my classic book reading quest, I've so far finished Franz Kafka's "Metamorphosis and other Stories" and Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth." Kafka was, well, Kafkaesque (serious father issues and absurdist, but I quite enjoyed his very short story called "Message From the Emperor"). "The Good Earth" was probably one of the top 5 books I've ever read. This is partly because I'm a huge Sinophile, but also because it's just a very well-written account of China just before the Nationalist revolution of the early 20th century. Great quote from it: "Tea is like drinking silver!"

I'm currently reading Philip Jose Farmer's "To Your Scattered Bodies Go," which is the first book in the five part "Riverworld" series. Written in the 1970's, the Riverworld series chronicles humanity resurrected on an afterlife planet that happens to have one large (you guessed it) river. Famous historical figures comingle with common folk from Neanderthal times to "the future" (2008, to Farmer). Anyway, led by Sir Richard Burton, a group of the resurrectees build a boat and decide to travel down the great river until they reach its end - coming across the seas of humanity along the way. I'm about 100 pages into it, but I know that at some point they pick up Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain). It's already an early favorite for my top 10 list. The word on the street is, this series was an inspiration for a certain TV show about some people "Lost" on an island.

Finally, having decided to rent out the damn house again, and having turned to the ol' Craigslist service, and having posted an ad last night, I've received the obligatory fake scam responses. Given my new "rental property" focus, and inspired by the Nigerian 419 scambaiters, I've decided to respond to the very first fake emailer and string them along for as long as I can. And, what do you know, the very first one I received was from our old friend Melina Richards. She apparently still has not found a residence yet. Pity. More on this as it develops...

Disgruntled Out!

No comments: