Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Prayer For The Disgruntled

Loyal reader Mike B just emailed me this, from The Baltimore Sun, which I thought was pretty great...

The real estate investor's prayer

You're getting up in years now. You remember your paper wealth in the 1970s, when real estate investment trusts went to the moon and everybody thought the boom would last forever. It didn't. You remember the 1980s, when commercial real estate went absolutely bonkers and again you were rich, at least according to your partnership documents. You remember the housing boom of the 2000s, when home prices doubled and your rental properties churned out cash like a slot machine. Now that quicksilver, too, is slipping your grasp.

Finally you remember, too late, the real estate prayer, which a reader of The Sun sent my colleague, Laura Smitherman. He says he found it in an file from 1991, which was about the darkest hour of the last real estate crash:

DEAR GOD...Please Let There Be Just One More Real Estate Boom, And I Promise Not To &+#@ It All Away This Time!



P.S. While I love The Onion, I hate the A.V. Club and their pseudo-intellectualism that just comes across as know-it-all snarkiness. I realize a lot of people will disagree with me on that. Anyway, here's a great A.V. Club interview with D.L. Hughley, where he completely rules the interviewer at the end, after being subjected to a haranguing about "nappy-headed hos."

P.P.S. See, I go and make a gross generalization about something, and then they respond by posting this hilarious and completely non-pretentious interview with Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse from "Superbad." Damn you A.V. Club!!! I can't wait for that movie to come out.

3 comments:

Blogadier General said...

And by "a lot of people will disagree with you", I assume you mean "that curmudgeonly Blogadier General will disagree with me"?

http://certainblogs.blogspot.com/2006/11/infinite-jerks.html

Adrock said...

Oddly enough, I expected you to take offense to the A.V. Club knock, not The Onion, which was more of an aside. I thought you were a big A.V. fan.

As far as the curmudgeonly part, I thought I heard a "harumph!" after I read your comment.

Blogadier General said...

I didn't make myself clear. I'm chilly on The Onion but enjoy the A.V. Club. Nathan Rabin is definitely my favorite rap critic.

Not sure if my links work on this archaic comments page, but here's his review of Bubba Sparxxx's Deliverance album:

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/14642